The Learning eXplosion , by Matthew Murdoch and Treion Muller, is a great read that steps you through how to successfully move your classroom instructor-led training into the virtual classroom. The book specifically focuses on 9 Rules for Creating Effective Virtual Training:
1. The Rule of Continual Change – Learners and designers must always be prepared for change.
2. The Rule of Knowledge Transfer – When transitioning from instructor-led classroom to virtual classrooms, be prepared to think through a new approach to the training delivery, content, timing, etc.
3. The Rule of Learning Circuitry – Follow the 5 steps to create a successful learning circuit.
4. The Rule of Overcoming Bias – By eliminating people’s fears of change, you can overcome their bias.
5. The Rule of Virtual Accountability – The 3 parts of the virtual accountability model are: Verbal, Visual, and Kinesthetic.
6. The Rule of Personal Practice – To be an effective virtual trainer, you must practice your presentations!
7. The Rule of Thumbs-Up – Make it easy for learners to give you feedback that will improve your virtual classroom.
8. The Rule of Global Positioning – Know the barriers to reaching a global audience.
9. The Rule of Sustained Orbit – Once your virtual classroom is launched, you need to keep the momentum following to keep it running successfully.
The book is a must read if you are in the process of transitioning instructor-led classroom training to virtual classroom training.
Matt and Treion also have a great blog to follow.