Need a little motivation for instructional design or development?
As an eLearning developer and instructional designer with a traditional graphic design background, I’ve found quotes from designers very meaningful throughout my career. Here are my top 12 inspirational quotes for instructional designers and developers:
1. “Design is thinking made visual.” – Saul Bass
2. “It seems that perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove.” – Antoine De Saint-Exupery “
3. “Form follows function — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union.” – Frank Lloyd Wright
4. “Design is a plan for arranging elements in such a way as best to accomplish a particular purpose.” – Charles Eames
5. “There are three responses to a piece of design — yes, no, and WOW! Wow is the one to aim for.” – Milton Glaser
6. “Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.” – Steve Jobs
7. “What is design? It’s where you stand with a foot in two worlds — the world of technology and the world of people and human purposes — and you try to bring the two together.” – Mitchell Kapor
8. “Socrates said, ‘Know thyself.’ I say, ‘Know thy users.’ And guess what? They don’t think like you do.” – Joshua Brewer
9. “I strive for two things in design: simplicity and clarity. Great design is born of those two things.” – Lindon Leader
10. “People ignore design that ignores people.” – Frank Chimero
11. “Content precedes design. Design in the absence of content is not design, it’s decoration.” – Jeffrey Zeldman
12. “Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication.” – Leonardo da Vinci
What are some of your favorite design or development quotes? Leave them below.