Are you for or anti-New Year’s Resolutions?
According to U.S. News, approximately 80% of resolutions fail by the second week of February. Yikes.
Ironically enough, in the same article where I found that statistic, the author also suggested enrolling in an online course as a resolution you might be more likely to keep because online courses “provide a great opportunity to pick up a new skill…[and] create a game plan for that lofty goal you want to accomplish.” Good job security for eLearning developers, I guess!
If you’re in the resolution-making mood, check out these ideas for 2019 New Year’s Resolutions for Training Professionals.
- Use Your Vacation Days
- Have you heard of “vacation shaming?” Apparently, this is a real thing. It means being made to feel a sense of shame or guilt from co-workers for taking a vacation. While the average number of vacation days taken seems to slowly be picking up, for several years there was a recurring series of news articles about how bad Americans are at using their vacation days. Let’s all resolve NOT to be part of those statistics. “By forgoing vacation days, Americans are missing out on stronger bonds with family and friends, greater fulfillment and productivity in their work lives and enhanced health and wellness as a result of time away from the office,” said Gary Oster, managing director of Project: Time Off, an initiative to win back America’s Lost Week of vacation. So use those vacation days!
- Achieve Inbox Zero
- Okay, this is a lofty goal, but many people believe that getting your inbox under control is the most important thing you could do for your productivity. Fast Company wrote a great article last year about managing your inbox, which I highly recommend taking a look at. I personally use the Boomerang extension for Gmail to help myself stay organized.
- Win an iPad
- You might be thinking, “Now how am I going to do that?” However, winning an iPad is actually the easiest goal on this list to achieve—because eLearning Brothers is giving away free iPads RIGHT NOW! All you have to do is schedule a demo with us THIS WEEK and you’ll be entered to win a free, fully-loaded eLearning iPad! We’re drawing one winner each day out of everyone who attended a demo that day. There are 3 days left to win, so hurry and book your slot before they’re gone!
Tips for Setting Resolutions & Actually Keeping Them
- Make SMART resolutions. Yes, I stole this from the concept of SMART goal setting. Resolutions are basically just year-long goals, after all. A SMART resolution needs to be Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Timely.
- Just start. You don’t HAVE to wait until January 1 to get started on your goal. If you know what your resolution is going to be, why not get started now instead of putting it off until January. (Hint, hint, this means, if your resolution is to win an iPad, you better sign up now!)
- Make it public. If your resolution is to eat less junk food, let your family and friends know so they can support you—and keep you accountable when you’re all out late and Sonic is calling your name.
Share your New Year’s Resolutions with us in the comments and don’t forget to enter for a chance to win a free iPad!