It’s Throwback Thursday and we’re throwing it back to this past June when we hosted eLBX, an eLearning Brothers User Conference Extravaganza. Today we are sharing Catherine Nelson’s presentation. Catherine is Vice President of Leadership Development for FranklinCovey. She has led the development of many award-winning and best-selling training solutions, including The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, The 4 Essential Roles of Leadership, and more.
Catherine’s presentation focused on the keys to leadership development. She shared the extensive research her team did to determine what skills leaders needed to develop to be effective. This included meta-analysis of more than 40 leadership research studies, interviews with executive level leaders, and more. Some insights from that research included:
Top Challenges Leaders Say They Face
- Engaging, motivating, and retaining talent
- Leading multiple generations
- Leading change
- Prioritizing coaching and mentoring
- Translating strategy into action
- Getting the work done
- Leading the business
In Terms of Leadership, C-level Business Leaders Want:
Leaders who can…
- Think big and adapt quickly
- Develop and execute strategy
- Coach and improve performance
- Inspire trust
Why Aren’t There Enough Leaders?
- Massive demographic shift in the US workforce—baby boomers are retiring faster than ever and companies are struggling to replace those roles
- Under investment in leadership development during global recession
- Times of rapid change—success factors constantly changing and it’s hard for leaders to keep up with that
- Lack of focus on developing diversity
Watch Catherine Nelson’s entire eLBX presentation on leadership below:
View the slides from Catherine’s presentation here.
If you enjoyed this video, you might also enjoy our regular webinar series. Check out past webinar recordings or register for upcoming webinars below.