At first I was skeptical when my friends at eLearning Brothers made the promise that “no programming skills or software are needed” to use their eLearning Interaction Builder. I might have even rolled my eyes and laughed out loud when they claimed I wouldn’t need an IT department and that I’d be able to “easily download a file to insert any interactions into an eLearning course.
It’s not my first time to the eLearning rodeo – I know it’s never as simple as it looks. But in this case, I was wrong. I take it all back. (And, I’m sorry I rolled my eyes.) The eLearning Brothers were right.
After creating a few interactions using the Interaction Builder, I can tell you: they aren’t joking when they say anyone can use it. This tool is friendly enough that even a non-techie like me was able to create an interaction in less than five minutes. I didn’t even have to watch the tutorials before I started using the tool. However, I did watch a tutorial afterwards, and I was impressed. In 4 minutes and 40 seconds, Brother Andrew demonstrates everything you need to know in order to successfully use the Interaction Builder.
Activities or interactions provide a way for learners to engage with the content and they make it possible to evaluate a learner’s progress. They are a critical part of an eLearning course’s success. Simply put: if you create ineffective interactions in your eLearning content, your course won’t survive.
Here’s how the Interaction Builder makes life easier:
- It takes only four steps to create an interaction. Back in the day, when I tried to do this without the Interaction Builder, it took me a lot more than four steps. And, in the spirit of transparency, in spite of the endless steps I took, my interactions never actually worked. (Insert sad face here.)
- There are more than 15 types of interactions you can choose from– everything from flash cards to games to pyramids to reveals to drag and drops. (Again, I struggled to create one version of an interaction. There’s no way I could create 15 types of interactions.)
- Seven letters: WYSIWYG. Yes, that’s right – the interaction builder has a What You See Is What You Get text editor. Enough said.
- There are 100+ themes to choose from, as well as the option to customize the theme. Because, as we all know, matching the brand color palette is important.
- Images and audio files can be uploaded and used in the interaction.
- Downloads are available as a Flash file, HTML, or Lectora Library Objects.
- Interactions can be saved, copied, and used again for another course. (Score!)
The bottom line: course development is a lot more fun and a lot less frustrating when you use the Interaction Builder. If you’re an HTML expert or a Flash pro, it might be easy for you to create an interaction. But for those of us who don’t have a clue, or who are trying to save time and streamline our content, using the Interaction Builder makes life a lot easier.
Check out our interaction builder today and you’ll be amazed at the simplicity of use and time savings!
Liz Sheffield is a freelance writer with a background in training and development. She specializes in writing about everything related to the human side of business. You can contact her via LinkedIn or Twitter.