Since its last release in June 2013, Adobe Captivate 8 leapfrogs the current paradigm of eLearning development and addresses the needs of today’s eLearning developer with it’s all new mobile responsive design. This is the most significant release of Adobe eLearning software yet because of the totally reimagined user interface. The tool also pays attention to the global community we all live in and allows for targeting content and even voice-overs by geolocation. This release also makes Adobe Captivate 8 the first responsive design tool for interactive application development.
“Captivate is going to give us all the features now that we’ve been waiting for so long. That will allow us to create true mobile eLearning, taking full advantage of all the features that are available on mobile devices.” Joe Ganci – eLearning Joe
Impact to the eLearning Industry
The rapidly changing development cycles of the most popular eLearning tools will take the entire industry to a new level. It will allow non-programmers to provide truly responsive design to all devices. In the past, this task alone would have taken a significant amount of time to complete. The same difficult tasks that took days and even weeks are now reduced to a few simple hours. With a mobile responsive template, this task becomes even easier. Graphic designers, instructional designers, and traditional classroom based instructors will now be able to enter the field of eLearning development because of the simplicity of creating courses without having to know any programming. A computer science degree is no longer needed to do such advanced tasks as:
- Mobile Responsiveness
– Software Simulations
– Geotargeting (Location based training)
The key to building an effective eLearning Authoring tool is to allow the developer or instructional designer to focus on the learner and on the learning — not have to spend their time slaving over the development. Adobe Captivate 8 jumps us forward significantly on this front. Having a complete series of out-of-the-box eLearning assets further enables the developer to focus on the subject matter and learner rather than having to spend hours illustrating, photographing, or programming. Here are some examples of the eLearning cutout people that come directly with the software.
Overview of What’s New with Captivate 8?
- All-new, Intuitive User Interface – Enjoy authoring with an interface that is simple yet powerful enough for experienced users.
- Responsive Design – Design courses based on what device your learner uses.
- Gesture-enabled Mobile Support – Pinch, zoom, and swipe enabled.
- Multi-screen Responsive eLearning – Preview to see how your project appears on various screens.
- Responsive Themes – Use themes that respond to mobile, tablet, or desktop.
- Multi-device Previews – Develop exactly how your content will look on mobile, tablet, or desktop.
- Out-of-the-box eLearning Assets – Enrich courses with customizable out-of-the-box assets.
- Native HTML5 and HTML5 Animation support – Import your web objects to live natively.
- Device Aware eLearning Delivery – Deliver the right course automatically no matter what device.
- Location Based Learning – Detect the learner’s device by using global position (GPS) so you can deliver the right content at the right time.
- Popup Blocker – Replace the area covered by an annoying pop-up during screen capture.
- Smart Responsive Positioning – Position your objects, such as images, text, interactions, etc., with respect to screen borders or objects to maintain layout consistency across all devices.
- Responsive Screen Capture – Create a single screen capture course that works across devices.
- Geo-location Support – Utilize the GPS capabilities of mobile devices to deliver timely, location-aware content to learners.
- Minimum or Maximum Object Sizing – Fix the minimum and maximum size of objects so that they do not over-scale across device views.
- Scrolling for Tablets and Mobile Devices – Easily enable scrolling of content on tablets and mobiles to accommodate content that spills over a single screen.
- Retina Display Support – Make courses that match the resolution of your device with crystal clear elements.
Congratulations to everyone at Adobe! You’ve creatd such an amazing eLearning authoring tool, and congratulations to all of our customers who get to use it.
Make sure to download the new Adobe Captivate 8 Templates in the eLearning Template Library.